Thursday, 18 February 2010

Princess Diana

I have a small garden of 5.6 x 4.7m. I have been advised by my good friend and personal illustrator David Shenton (www.davidshenton.com) that the best thing to do in a small garden is to keep floral colours minimal. I have therefore chosen 2 colours to introduce in to my garden planting. White and Purple.
From Blogger Pictures

Illustration of Russella by David Shenton

White is associated with peace and purity and also monarchy. Purple has similar associations with nobility and spirituality. I hope these colours together will be bold yet peaceful.

I already have a small cherry tree with white blossom and a purple passionflower climber which growns delicious edible passionfruit - I will post pictures of these once they are in full bloom.

Despite my colour limitations I have decided to leave one particular pink clematis (a climbing, flowering vine) called the 'Princess Diana' which I have already planted. This climbs the cherry tree, and whilst it will stick out like a sore thumb amongst the purple and white I think that this will be appropriate as Diana's fashion's also stuck out like a sore thumb. It is also in keeping with the noble purple, though I've no doubt the pink bells of the clematis will clash with the purple, in much the same way Diana did with the Monarchy.

From Blogger Pictures
Princess Diana in 'Noble' Purple

From Blogger Pictures
The 'Princess Diana' variety of Clematis

No comments:

Post a Comment